23rd January 2017
Reading (Mr Cumberland)
- As we have launched an initiative called Accelerated Reader, designed to increase literacy skills and promote a love of reading, so I thought I would share with you some of my thoughts about the value of the written word and why I would classify myself as a bibliophile, (a lover of books and reading).
16th November 2016
We Need to Talk About Photoshop (9STN Tutor Assembly)
This assembly was about the ways in which the media’s use of Photoshop leads to us having unrealistic body expectations and how we can avoid negative body image.
14th October 2016
Harvest Festival (School Council)
This year Harvest Festival assembly was a celebration of the food we eat, what we eat and who we eat it with. Eating food is a big part of social development as we all communicate around the table with family, friends and others. The chatter in the dining room here at school is so lovely to hear with pupils talking, laughing and enjoying each other’s company while eating their lunch.
In our Harvest Assembly we reflected on our efforts at the recent cake sale in aid of Macmillan Nurses and the Douglas Macmillan Hospice. It was much more than just raising money. The whole school got involved and the whole experience was such a positive one. The bonus was that we ate cake and supported 2 wonderful charities.
Finally, we also looked back over time to the tradition of Harvest and how it is still celebrated today across the world. There was quiet reflection time to be thankful of where we live in the world and how we have enough food. The Harvest boxes will be distributed in the local area.
Thank you to the pupils, parents and staff for their contributions. Once again we have demonstrated what a caring community we are.
26th September 2016
Motivation & Problem Management (Mr Cumberland)
- First, have a dream, share it, get others involved so they can motivate you as you strive towards it. Second, if faced with a big problem, break it down into smaller chunks and do it a bit at a time.
19th September 2016
Your Time at School (Mr Cumberland)
- Your time at school is the foundation to your success in the future; the qualifications, experiences and life skills you acquire are the tools you will keep with you for the rest of your life. Be motivated by yourself and what you what for the future.
16th September 2016
The Importance of Getting Involved in Making Important Decisions (Miss Hingley)
- Think about the many decisions you’ve got to make this year. It might be something as simple and pleasant as which clubs to attend, or it might be something far more serious, such as which options to choose, or which revision sessions to attend, or how much revision to do.
22nd July 2016
End of Year Assembly (Mr Cumberland)
- The assembly included music from various pupils, sports day results, achievement points results, attendance achievements and a speech from Mr Gould.
7th July 2016
The History of Sport & The History of Music (7KC & 8CZ Tutor Assembly)
7KC - this assembly was about sporting history, their origins and how some have changed.
8CZ - this assembly was about the history & importance of music.
17th June 2016
Taking Responsibility (Miss Hingley)
- This assembly was about taking ownership of solving your own problems through the art of communication and taking responsibility.
16th June 2016
Sleep (8DV Tutor Assembly)
- This tutor assembly was on the subject of sleep. Why do we do it? What happens if we don't get enough? Why do we dream?