Sir Thomas Boughey Academy Learning Support

SEND Information Report

The SEND Information Report provides information for parents/carers of children who have Special Educational Needs and Disabilities and all those who support children and young people with additional needs. This information outlines the support and provision they can expect to receive if they choose Sir Thomas Boughey Academy for their children.

Sir Thomas Boughey Academy is part United Endeavour Trust and has long had a reputation as a caring school where our high expectation of students contributes much to the outstanding public examination results that we have always achieved. We place a high emphasis on good academic performance as well as firmly support traditional attitudes such as good behaviour and high attendance. Ofsted reports for the school warmly praised our achievements describing us as ‘a caring disciplined community where pupils feel safe’.

We are a compact school giving your youngster all the advantages of a small community but the still offer the wide opportunities available in larger institutions. Parents from outside our traditional ‘catchment’ are advised to make an early application either through their child’s current Primary School or directly to Sir Thomas Boughey Academy. We aim quite simply to create a warm and happy environment in which all children can achieve their fullest potential. Each individual child is valued, challenged and developed. The school is positive, relaxed and orderly without being repressive, and visitors comment on the unfailing politeness and good manners of the students.

We aim to support our pupils with Special Educational Needs by offering an inclusive curriculum which allows them to achieve their full potential. Within the Learning Support Department we work to identify areas of need, create a plan of action which supports the child and the teachers and we follow this with a review to establish progress made. We have a team of Teaching Assistants with a wealth of experience who are used to support our pupils with SEN and who collaborate with pupils, teachers, parents and outside agencies (where appropriate) to ensure that our pupils are supported during their time at Sir Thomas Boughey Academy.

How does the school know if a pupil needs extra help and what should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

‘A child or young person has SEN if they have learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.’ ‘A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty if he or she:

  • Has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or,
  • Has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools.’ – (Special Educational Needs and Disability Code of Practise 0-25 years, June 2014)

A student may be identified as having a Special Educational Need or Disability at any stage during their education. This may be a long term difficulty requiring continuing support or a short term difficulty requiring a specific intervention. In order to identify special educational needs the Learning Support Department gathers information from a variety of sources.

These include;

  • Screening tests for reading and spelling.
  • Baseline assessment data, carried out in the first weeks of year 7.
  • Information from our feeder schools is shared in annual review/transition meetings in both years 5 and 6.
  • Parental concerns can be raised at any time through your child’s tutor, Head of house, SENCO.
  • Year 7 clinic evening is an excellent time to raise concerns regarding SEN.
  • Referrals from teachers/pastoral team/house leaders.

As a school we offer a supportive education, delivering an inclusive and balanced curriculum.

How will the school staff support my child?

Primarily we promote high quality first teaching. Our teaching staff plan and deliver the curriculum, which is differentiated to meet the needs of individual pupils. This may include additional support from our teaching assistants and the Learning Support Department.

If a pupil has more specific needs we adopt a graduated approach to create a personalised provision map for your child. The needs of each of our pupils with SEN will be managed by the SENCO and lead TA, in collaboration with the pupil / parent / teaching staff and any other relevant professionals or agencies. Our SEN Governor Jenny Conlon is regularly kept up to date with SEN information. Teaching staff rigorously track the progress of every pupil throughout the year. Parents receive feedback on their child’s progress on a termly basis. Parents receive a report card showing targets and attainment across all subjects.

Pupil progress is also tracked through screening tests for reading and spelling. The SENCO and teaching staff monitor the progress of our SEN pupils, raise issues and plan interventions in collaboration with pupils and parents.

How will the curriculum be matched to the needs of my child?

We offer an inclusive curriculum. Teaching staff use prior attainment data and information from the Learning Support Team allowing them to differentiate effectively, ensuring this curriculum can be accessed by all pupils. Our Teaching Assistants are assigned to link subjects where they support differentiation, producing resources for pupils with specific needs. They also work alongside pupils with SEN in lessons as directed by the teaching staff.

Pupils identified as having specific Special Educational Needs will also have a Provision map allowing them to work towards short term targets. These will be reviewed regularly depending on the timescale for achievement of these targets.

How will the school know how well my child is doing?

Teaching staff track pupil progress throughout the year. We report on this progress each term in the form of a report card which is sent home to parents.

Further to this, our SEN pupils will experience a graduated approach (assess, plan, do, review) to ensure that they make progress against short term targets. Pupils, parents, teaching staff and the SENCO will be involved in this process.

The Learning Support team gather information from our feeder schools prior to your child’s arrival in year 7. We also invite parents to contact the school and arrange a meeting with the SENCO/Assistant SENCO to discuss their child’s needs prior to them starting in September. The SENCO/Assistant SENCO attends annual review and transition meetings of years 5 and 6 pupils in order to improve transition between the key stages.

How will I know how well my child is doing in school?

Each term you will receive a report card keeping you up to date on how well your child is doing in school. This gives you the opportunity to make comment on their progress. We also host parents evenings once a year, with the addition of Clinic Evening, which takes place within the first half term of year 7. These are times when you will receive feedback on your child’s progress and are an opportunity to discuss any concerns. If you have any concerns or questions about your child’s progress throughout the year your first port of call should be your child’s tutor.

The Learning Support Department operates an open phone policy, where parents of pupils with SEN are welcome to call and discuss their child’s progress with the SENCO/ or Assistant SENCO.

What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

Each pupil is part of a form group. Your child’s form tutor (a member of the teaching staff) plays a pivotal role in supporting their overall wellbeing in school.

Members of staff also supporting your child include the Teaching staff, Teaching Assistants, SENCO, House leaders and School Nurse. We offer support at lunchtimes and break times where pupils can access the Learning Support Unit and also through our lunchtime and afterschool homework club.

There are a number of sports clubs running through lunchtimes and afterschool which are open to all pupils. Tutor groups are also encouraged to take part in the tutor challenge.

Pupils with medical needs

If a pupil has a significant medical need then a care plan is compiled with support from the school nurse in consultation with parents/carers. These are shared with all staff involved with the pupil. Staff receive regular Asthma and EpiPen training, delivered by the school nurse. Where necessary and in agreement with parents/carers medicines are administered centrally in school where they are securely kept with access to a refrigerator if necessary. We have trained first aiders in school, these are in a variety of departments and all hold the same ‘First Aid at Work’ qualification.

What support is there for behaviour?

The school has a clear Behaviour Policy, with rewards, sanctions and expectations within the school which all staff and pupils are expected to follow. The Pastoral team, behaviour support unit, school councillor and Learning Support Team provide individual support and guidance for pupils who may be showing behaviour of concern in order to address the issues which may be the triggers to the behaviour. The school works positively with external agencies. It seeks appropriate support from them to ensure that the needs of all pupils are met by utilising the range of external support available.

How will my child be able to contribute his or her views?

Pupils are involved in our regular pupil voice surveys. We have a school council, elected by pupils which meet on a regular basis.

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

Our Teaching Assistants have a wealth of experience in working with children with general learning difficulties, Dyslexia, Autism, Sensory impairment and behavioural difficulties. We have a school councillor. At times it is necessary to access support from outside agencies.

These agencies include:

  • Autism Outreach Team
  • CAMHS VI Team/HI team
  • Educational Psychologist
  • EWO
  • School Nurse
  • Entrust Careers Service

Staffordshire’s Local Offer gives a broader range of services available across the county. What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had or are having? Differentiation is a focus for development across the school. Teaching staff have been involved in several training sessions on the theme of differentiation. Teaching staff have been involved in Dyslexia training.

How will my child be included in activities outside of the classroom, including school trips?

We offer an inclusive education and as part of this a wide range of trips and educational visits are offered throughout the year. These are open to all pupils. The support of pupils with additional needs are planned for and included in the preparations, such as risk assessments or changes to the ratio of staff support. Teaching Assistants are used to support pupils with SEND where appropriate.

How accessible is the school environment?

At present our school is not fully wheelchair accessible. Changes have been made to the fabric of the school to improve the accessibility of the school to visually impaired pupils. Where additional equipment not already accessible in the school is needed, further advice would be sought to improve access. Disabled toilets can be found on the ground floor of the main building.

How does the school communicate with parents/carers whose first language is not English?

In these circumstances the school seeks the services of an interpreter through Staffordshire MEAS (Minority Ethnic Achievement Service).

How will the school prepare and support my child when they join Sir Thomas Boughey?

The SENCO and/or Assistant SENCO attend annual review and transition meetings in years 5 and 6. All pupils joining our school in September for the first time are offered two taster days where pupils can experience the school day and meet and work with their peers. These take place in the final weeks of the summer term. For those pupils with SEN additional visits are offered where appropriate. Some of our staff are involved in working within our feeder schools delivering lessons and building relationships with pupils.

How will the school prepare and support my child as they transfer to a new school or to the next stage of education and life?

Throughout KS4 we prepare pupils for the transition to employment, training or further education. In year 10 all pupils take part in two weeks of work experience. Year 11 pupils attend a mock interview evening, hosted by the school with support from outside professionals. We host a college open evening (KS5 Evening) where representatives from local colleges offer advice and information to prospective students. The Learning Support Team passes on relevant SEN information if a child moves away from their current setting.

How are the schools resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

The SEN budget is allocated each financial year. The money is used to provide additional support or resources depending on an individuals need. The additional provision may be allocated following discussion with relevant teaching staff or in within the creation of a Provision Map. These resources include the deployment of support staff.

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive?

In order to assess the level of need of a pupil with SEN we use data and information from the previous setting, combined with our own screening and data tracking. This is in conjunction with pupil, parent and teacher discussions along with consultation and referral from outside agencies. We then use a graduated approach to establish the best way forward. We always meet the statutory requirements when working with pupils with Education, health and care plans.

How will/can I be involved in the school?

All parents are encouraged to contribute to their child’s education. This may be through:

  • Discussions with the class teacher during parent’s evenings.
  • Involvement in the planning of a Provision Map.
  • Parents are invited to comment on their child’s reports.
  • Using the pupil diaries/planners to monitor your child’s homework. This can also be used as a means of communication with your child’s form tutor.
  • SENCO/Head of Learning Support can be contacted by e-mail;

Who can I contact for further information?

Pastoral issues or general questions about your child’s progress can be answered by your child’s form tutor. They can be contacted using the schools number 01782 729406. Attainment, progress or any general concerns or questions concerning pupils with SEN can be discussed with the SENCO/Head of Learning Support who can be reached on the schools number or by e-mail; In addition to the information given here, Staffordshire has produced its own ‘Local Offer’ which can be found at Staffordshire’s Local Offer

Terms and Acronyms:

Provision map:
A pupil identified as having Special Educational Needs will have a Provision map with targets specific to them. This is a collaborative document, created by the pupil, parents, teaching staff, SENCO and other relevant professionals. This sets out a graduated approach allowing pupils to move forward and improve in areas where they are having difficulties.

Graduated approach: This is aimed at producing a structure where progress against short term goals can be made and reviewed. The first step would be to assess the need, the second would be to plan a course of action, the third would be to put this action plan in place and finally, following an agreed timescale this would be reviewed. There would be an on-going cycle of assess, plan, do and review.

SENCO or Special Educational Needs Coordinator:

Our SENCO is Mr O’Connor. He can be contacted by phone using the schools number 01782 729406 or via e-mail at MEAS (Minority Ethnic Achievement Service)

Reviewed February 2018