13th June 2014
The Good Food Show
Friday 13th June 2014 – a lovely warm and sunny day and an excellent day for a school trip to the BBC Good Food Show. 33 students accompanied by Miss Daragheh, Mr Taylor, Mrs Morgan and Mrs Beardmore arrived at in Birmingham just before 10.30am.
We had over three hours to explore the hundreds of stalls and stands from different companies, taste lots of different foods and we had the opportunity to buy lots of foods.
We had tickets to the Super Theatre at 1.30pm and Paul Hollywood presented a 40 minute show; preparing and cooking Stilton and Walnut bread. He talked about the use of ingredients and the new series of the Great British Bake Off.
Some of the Year 9 girls met and posed for photos with Paul Hollywood!
We tasted lots of different foods including:
- Curry sauces and chutneys
- Chilli cheese, strong cheddars and flavoured cheeses
- Tasted Qucumber water, a new soft drink stocked in supermarkets
- Ginger ale, ginger beer and fruit cordials
- Soya milk and soya products
- Gluten free cakes and biscuits
- Yakult milk drinks
Mr Taylor dared some of the group to taste a chilli sauce called ‘Pain’! Who would even try that?!!! Mrs Morgan, Kieran Dean…
The Home and Gardens Show was also exhibiting in the same conference centre and some of the Year 10’s were curious of the RNIB stand. They met a blind man and some of the guide dogs. They were challenged to walk in a tunnel with a blindfold on to imagine being blind.
Here’s a few things that we bought:
- Liz Higginson (Year 10) – I bought a pink meringue and a stick toffee cake.
- Kieran Dean (Year 10) – I bought a Pain chilli sauce for my dad for Father’s day and a Yankee candle holder.
- Miss Daragheh – I bought an Indian sauce, some chef’s knives for my brother and some gluten free cakes. I also bought some organic fudge in different flavours; ginger fudge, Cointreau and orange fudge and rum & raisin fudge.
One Year 9 student said:
I really enjoyed the day as we had the chance to wander around and see all of the different stalls. We also met Paul Hollywood!
One Year 10 student said:
It made me realise how big the food industry is. There are so many companies, selling lots of different products. We tried loads of foods. The chefs were wandering about and we got to see them.
Miss Daragheh summarises on a great day and learning experience:
The BBC Good Food Show is a fantastic experience for the students. All of the food companies, food TV shows and chefs come together to celebrate their love of food. Our students get to taste lots of different foods and the whole experience broadens their horizons and knowledge of ingredients and cultural foods, as well as foods made for special dietary requirements. A great day was had by all.